Most stores and services that would normally be open on a weekend will operate on the Monday August Civic Holiday.
Stores and services operate as usual on the Saturday and Sunday of this long weekend.
Not all provinces observe an August Civic Holiday. Quebec, Newfoundland and Nunavut do not have an August Civic Holiday and therefore conduct business as usual.
For the provinces that have a civic holiday, here is an overview of openings and closures (may vary slightly by location - call ahead to confirm).
Closed on Monday, August 5, 2013
- Most child-care centres
- Government offices
- Post offices / no mail delivery (post offices operated by the private sector may be open)
Open on Monday, August 5, 2013
- Many Liquor/Beer Stores - possibly at reduced hours (check specific locations)
- Most grocery stores, supermarkets and convenience stores - possibly at reduced hours
- Tourist destinations, such as the CN Tower, the Vancouver Aquarium, museums, galleries etc.
- Public transit on a holiday schedule
- Garden centres