Au Pied de Cochon, Montreal, Overview:
Au Pied de Cochon's celebrity status hasn't changed Chef Picard's no-nonsense approach to food though. Unimpressed by delicate, high-end cuisine that is big on presentation and multiple courses, Picard's approach is more primal: "I want people to see the reality of food," he has said.
The menu is unabashedly tailored to carnivores and favors locally grown, seasonal and natural ingredients.
Be sure to call ahead for a reservation (514) 281-1114
Au Pied de Cochon Menu Highlights:
- Duck in a can - half a mallard duck, foie gras, garlic and balsamic demi-glaze, canned, cooked and ceremoniously opened a the table and poured over bread and celeriac puree
- Foie gras-topped poutine
- Venison tongue in tarragon sauce
- Pigs feet
- For dessert try Pouding Chomeur - cake topped with a mixture of cream and maple syrup and baked.
Au Pied de Cochon - Be Warned:
1. The air conditioning was on so high, my six friends and I were all uncomfortably cold.
2. Two people in the party ordered a deep fried foie gras appetizer. The waiter advised them to "wait a minute" for it to cool down. Even after waiting two minutes, both women badly burnt the inside of their mouths and could not thoroughly enjoy the rest of their meals.
Getting to Au Pied de Cochon / Contact Au Pied de Cochon:
Neighborhood: Plateau Mont-Royal
By subway: Get off at Sherbrooke.
Phone: Call (514) 281-1114 to confirm hours or make reservations (recommended).