Montreal in DecemberMontreal is particularly beautiful in December as the city lights up for the Christmas holidays. Enjoy light shows, window displays, ice skating and, of course, some of the best Christmas shopping that Canada has to offer.
December Weather in Montreal:
- Average December temperature: -1ºC / 30ºF
- December average high: 2ºC / 36ºF
- December average low: -4ºC / 25ºF
- Visitors can expect rain about 7 - 9 out of 31 days in December.
What to Pack for Montreal in December:
Visitors to Montreal in December should be prepared for a variety of temperatures. Warm spells have been known to happen. Pack clothing that can be layered.
- Long sleeve shirts; sweaters / sweatshirts
- Heavy, winter jacket, lighter jacket or winter vest
- Closed-toe, comfortable waterproof shoes and boots
Montreal in December Perks:
- The city is aglow with Christmas lights and there are holiday festivities to attend every day in December.
Good to Know about Montreal in December:
- December 25th is a statutory holiday where pretty much everything is closed.
- December 26 is also a statutory holiday in Montreal and all of Quebec for most everyone except those in the retail industry. December 26, or Boxing Day in Canada, is the day when stores offer the biggest sales of the year.
Montreal in December - Events & Highlights:
- Joyeux Décembre!: Mont-Royal Avenue is alive with holiday festivities, including light displays and music.
- Christmas at the Garden, December / January: Music and horticulture come together to create an enchanting holiday setting.
- And Then There Was Light, Permanent Exhibit: A historical and cultural multimedia show at the Notre-Dame de Montréal Basilica
- Saint Joseph’s Oratory, has special events planned throughout December.