Stop at a Duty Free Shop on the Canada / US Border for Discount Shopping, Washrooms, GST Rebate Services and Currency Exchange
What is Duty Free Shopping:
What Visitors Can Buy at Duty Free Shops on the Canadian / US Border:
Many duty free shops also have food courts, travel centers, GST Rebate services, business services, including faxes, telephones, photocopiers and telecommunication ports for laptop computers.
Personal Allowances for Americans Traveling to Canada:
- 1.5 litres of wine, or 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor, or 24 x 355 millilitres (12 ounces) cans or bottles (8.5 litres) of beer or ale.
- 1 carton (200 cigarettes) & 50 cigars
- Americans may bring up to $60 in gifts per recipient. (excluding alcohol and tobacco)
Personal Allowances for Americans Returning to the US after Less than 48 Hrs:
- US$200 worth of goods per person, tax and duty free
- 150 ml (5 oz) alcohol and 10 cigars (non Cuban)
- Any purchases in excess of the US$200 allowance may be subject to duties and taxes.
- US citizens may buy these amounts daily.
Personal Allowances for Americans Returning to the US after More than 48 Hrs:
- US$800 worth of goods per person, tax and duty free
- Purchases may include 1 liter of alcohol, 200 cigarettes (1 carton), and 100 cigars.
- Family members may combine their tax and duty allowances.
- Any purchases in excess of the US$800 allowance may be subject to duties and taxes.
- US citizens may buy these amounts once a month.
Duties & Taxes Charged for Exceeding Personal Allowances:
- US $2 - $3 per bottle of liquor*
- US $1.30 per case of beer*
- US $3.90 per carton of cigarettes*
*US duty rates on purchases exceeding 1 liter of alcohol are assessed according to alcohol content.
Best Buys at Duty Free Shops in Canada:
- Liquor, including spirits, wine and beer, in Canada is significantly more expensive than in the United States, so Americans going to Canada for a visit may want to stop at duty free for liquor that they will consume while in Canada.
For example, 40 oz of spirit is as low as US$17. The same bottle would be more than double that price if bought in Canada.