Stat holidays ("stat" is short-form for "statutory") in Canada are those days deemed by either the federal or provincial government to be a holiday for the general population. On stat holidays, employees are entitled to a day off with pay.
Stat holidays occur on both a federal, or nationwide, level and on a provincial level; thus, Canadian provinces do not necessarily share all the same stat holidays.
The following holidays are celebrated across Canada and appear with their 2011 and 2012 dates.
- New Year's Day - Saturday, Jan. 1, 2011 (because in 2011, this holiday falls on a Saturday, some employees may get Monday, Jan. 3 off) / Sunday, Jan , 2012
- Good Friday - Friday, April 22, 2011 / Friday, April 6, 2012 (Easter Monday is the stat holiday in Quebec. Easter Sunday and Monday are not holidays nationwide - see Easter in Canada)
- Victoria Day - Monday, May 23, 2011 / Monday, May 21, 2012 (optional in Maritime provinces, Newfoundland)
- Canada Day - Friday, July 1, 2011 / Monday, July 2, 2012
- August Civic Holiday - Monday, August 1, 2011 / Monday, August 6, 2012 (optional in some provinces)
- Labour Day - Monday, September 5, 2011 / Monday, September 3, 2012
- Thanksgiving - Monday, Oct 10, 2011 / Monday, Oct 8, 2012
- Remembrance Day - Friday, November 11, 2011 / Sunday, November 11, 2012 (optional in some provinces)
- Christmas - Sunday, December 25, 2011 / Tuesday, December 25, 2012