Stat holidays ("stat" is short-form for "statutory") in Canada are those days deemed by either the federal or provincial government to be a holiday for the general population. On stat holidays, employees are entitled to a day off with pay.
Stat holidays occur on both a federal, or nationwide, level and on a provincial level; thus, Canadian provinces do not necessarily share all the same stat holidays.
The following holidays are celebrated across Canada and appear with their 2014 and 2015 dates.
- New Year's Day - Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014 / Thursday, Jan , 2015
- Good Friday - Friday, April 18, 2014 / Friday, April 3, 2015 (Easter Monday is the stat holiday in Quebec. Easter Sunday and Monday are not holidays nationwide - see Easter in Canada)
- Victoria Day - Monday, May 19, 2014 / Monday, May 18, 2015 (optional in Maritime provinces, Newfoundland)
- Canada Day - Tuesday, July 1, 2014 / Wednesday, July 1, 2015
- August Civic Holiday - Monday, August 4, 2014 / Monday, August 5, 2012 (optional in some provinces)
- Labour Day - Monday, September 1, 2014 / Monday, September 7, 2015
- Thanksgiving - Monday, Oct 13, 2014 / Monday, Oct 12, 2015
- Remembrance Day - Tuesday, November 11, 2014 / Wednesday, November 11, 2015 (optional in some provinces)
- Christmas - Friday, December 25, 2014 / Tuesday, December 25, 2012