Plan Your Trip to Canada
By Jane McLean, About.com Guide
- Canada 101 - Canada Basics
- Where to Go - Canada Travel Guides
- When to Go to Canada
- Crossing the Canada Border
Canada 101 - Canada Basics
Get started on Canada trip planning by learning the basics about this big, beautiful country.
- Before You Go to Canada
- Canada Maps
- Canada's Provinces & Territories
- Distances Between Major Cities in Canada
- Canada Weather - Temperatures & Weather Conditions in Canada
- Top 10 Reasons to Visit Canada
- Public Holidays in Canada
Where to Go - Canada Travel Guides
Canada has a destination to suit any visitor - vast landscapes, bustling cities, quiet waterside villages and the unique French heritage of Quebec.
- Montreal Travel Guide
- Quebec City Travel Guide
- Cape Breton Travel Guide - Celtic Heritage & Maritime Hospitality
When to Go to Canada
Canada is a big country. Places across the country change in culture, weather conditions and what they have to offer visitors throughout the year and travel prices vary accordingly. The following should help you decide when you want to plan your visit to Canada.
Crossing the Canada Border
The best advice for visitors crossing the border into Canada is to be prepared. Know what questions may be asked, what items are and aren't allowed and what documents you need to cross the border into Canada.
- Tips for Driving Across the Border into Canada
- Do U.S. Citizens Need a Passport to Visit Canada
- Canada Travel Documents and Passport Substitutes
- Duty-Free Shopping at the Canada Border
- The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
- Bringing Children over the Canada Border
Canada Events & Festivals
Canada's events and festivals cover a wide-range of themes, reflecting the diversity of the Canadian people. From celebrations of nature to mingling with Hollywood's elite, Canada has some of the world's best events and festivals.
- Top 10 Events & Festivals in Canada
- Top 10 Winter Events and Festivals in Canada
- Santa Claus Parades in Canada
- New Year's Celebrations across Canada
- Fall Festivals in Canada
Canada with Kids
There are a lot of kid-friendly trips to take in Canada. Most of Canada is progressive when it comes to accessibility for strollers and change stations and most places will have child-friendly hotels and restaurants. Children from denser populated places will be thrilled by the wide-open spaces of Western Canada, Northern Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes.
- Crossing the Canada / U.S. Border with Kids
- Top Kid-Friendly Activities in Toronto
- Top Kid-Friendly Activities in Vancouver
Getting To Canada
From the U.S., travel options to Canada include train, plane, boat or car. Other international travelers will probably only have the option to fly into a Canadian airport or they may choose to fly to a U.S. destination and drive up over the border. Arriving in the U.S. first may be cheaper and change your passport entry requirements.
- Vancouver International Airport
- Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport
- Buffalo Airport - Getting to Canada from the Buffalo Airport
Holidays in Canada
Public holidays mean special events plus closures, crowds and other travel headaches. Be prepared for the opportunities and challenges of holidays in Canada by knowing when they are and what to expect.
- Public Holiday Calendar - Find the Dates of Canada's Public Holidays
- Family Day
- Easter in Canada
- Victoria Day - May 24th Long Weekend