May Weather in Vancouver
- Average maximum daytime temp: 17ºC / 64ºF
- The BC coast’s climate is the most moderate in Canada, but there is rain -- lots of it. In May, Vancouver has rain about 13 days out of 31.
What to Wear in Vancouver in May:
- Warm, water-resistant outerwear
- Comfortable closed-toe shoes and water-resistant footwear, especially if you're going to be outside of the city.
- Sunhat, sunscreen
- A range of clothing, including t-shirts, sweaters, light pants, heavy slacks. Dressing in layers is a good idea. Daytimes can be warm, but evenings can still be chilly.
Vancouver in May Perks:
- Warmer weather means visitors can enjoy more of Vancouver great outdoor offerings.
- May in Vancouver is less rainy than average.
- Springtime means the full throng of summer visitors has not yet arrived.
- Spring ski season runs to the end of May at Whistler and other BC ski destinations.
Vancouver in May Cons:
- Some of the most popular Canadian festivals and events are not yet under way.
Good to Know about Vancouver in May:
Victoria Day is a national holiday in Canada that falls on the Monday before May 25th. Government services, schools and banks will be closed.
Victoria Day weekend is a big travel holiday in Canada (commonly referred to as "May Two-Four Weekend"). Expect crowded highways on the Friday and Monday of this weekend and long lineups at border crossings.
Vancouver in May Highlights and Events:
- Vancouver International Children's Festival: A world-renowned festival of performing arts for young audiences, the Vancouver International Children's Festival has been educating, entertaining and inspiring young audiences since 1978.
- EAT! Vancouver, The Everything Food & Cooking Festival.
- Cloverdale Rodeo and Exhibition , (south of Surrey): Top cowboys and cowgirls on the professional rodeo circuit compete in traditional rodeo events including bare back, saddle, bronco, and bull riding.
- Whistler Wellness Week, (Whistler is a spectacular 2-hr drive from Vancouver): Seminars and teachings on living a better, more holistic life.