1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

No. US citizens do not need a visa to enter Canada, and for now, travelers to Canada from the US do not need an American passport when crossing the border.

However, if you are an American citizen, be sure to have the proper identification to enter Canada.

In addition, the documentation requirements are set to change. Find out what the changes are and when they go into effect.
October 11, 2008 at 6:56 pm
(1) "Doc" says:

Now its 10/11/08, Now do U.S citezens need a passprot to enter Canada?

January 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm
(2) Liz says:

For a while is ok without a Visa, but what if a US citizen wants to stay for 3 years in canada, do they need a Visa for it? how can they get it?

April 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm
(3) merlin says:

im not a us citizen but if a have the american visa can i cross the canadien border

April 2, 2010 at 11:45 am
(4) Todd says:

When I traveled through Canada from Alaska to the lower 48 states I didn’t need a passport, just my military ID. In 2009 the laws changed and passports are required even for U.S. citizens if you’re crossing into Canada. The application process can take up to 6 weeks unless you request it be expidited. Then its a 2 to 3 week process. You can get the passport application (DS-11) online and fill it out in PDF format. Hope this helps~

October 14, 2010 at 3:27 pm
(5) jason says:

do the canadian take you finger print if you are an american citicen, when you enter to canada territori

June 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm
(6) Joyce says:

This information really needs to be updated. It is now 2011!!!

July 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm
(7) Colton says:

My friend is getting released from the army base in alaska and he is flying me up there to help him drive back to missouri do we need a passport to go through canada just once? if so…. im screwed cause i leave in 22 hours…..

March 5, 2012 at 5:44 am
(8) Jereen says:

This information really needs to be updated. It is now 2012!!!

July 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm
(9) ML says:

US citizens and green card holders (PR) do NOT need visa for a tourist visit. Here’s a link to the info (go to the bottom of the page).


This site also give you info regarding other type of visit.

February 26, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(10) pinterest.com says:

If some one wants to be updated with hottest technologies afterward he must be pay a visit this web page and be
up to date everyday.

Here is my web blog :: pinterest.com

March 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(11) John says:

This is only half true. If you have had a DUI you better look into a visa. The Canucks consider this to be a heinous offense or at least their government does.

April 13, 2014 at 11:35 pm
(12) find out more says:

This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep
a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own
blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

my web-site … <a href=”http://www.spoke.com/companies/qik-plumbing-palmdale-53186a9ef01f120100005d0f”>find out more</a>

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.